Blizzard has made Overwatch Season 4 live, and with it all the newest tweaks and changes it is implementing into the game.
But first things first, Season 4 is implementing changes to how your Competitive Rank works. Once you reach 3000 Competitive Points you’ll need to complete seven matches a week to ensure that you keep that rank before your points start to drop off.
Additionally, it’s now been made tougher to climb between 4,500 and 5,000 and also harder to drop points between 500 and 0. Ranks below 500 won’t be displayed to prevent players purposefully trying to lose games to get that fabled ‘0’ ranking.
Last thing: the rewards for reaching Overwatch Top 500 are now being limited only to those who are within the Top 500 at the end of the season, rather than anyone who simply makes it that far. Harsh, but makes those rewards all the sweeter.
Elsewhere, a Game Browser has been added to Overwatch to allow players to find specific games or game types, including the new Capture The Flag mode that has been added to the Nepal, Lijiang Tower, Ilios, and Oasis maps.
As mentioned in the PTR patch update, many characters have had an option to adjust their targeting sensitivity – particularly healers and support characters – and this is carried over to the live patch too. These heroes are Ana, Mercy, Sombra (Hack), Widowmaker (Grappling Hook), Zarya and Zenyatta.
But of course there are some significant balance changes to particular characters, too. As with the PTR, Bastion retains his rather hefty buffs, there are changes to Mei and D.Va to make them a little more handy and Roadhog is getting his hook nerfed. Here’s the changes in full:
Blizzard says it wants to make Bastion more flexible, removing some of the strength from his Sentry mode and adding that to his Recon mode. How viable either configuration will be we will have to wait and see.
- Configuration: Sentry
- Reconfiguration time decreased from 1.5 seconds to 1.0 second
- Bullet spread increased by 50%
- Bullet spread is always at maximum (it no longer increases as the weapon is fired)
- Magazine size increased from 200 to 300
- No longer deals critical damage
- Configuration: Recon
- Bullet spread decreased by 25%
- Magazine size increased from 20 to 25
- Can now be used while moving
- Now bound to secondary fire (formerly Ability 2)
- No longer interrupted by taking damage
- A new resource meter has been added that depletes while Self-Repair is active and recharges when not in use
- Configuration: Tank
- No longer grants bonus armor
- New Passive Ability: Ironclad
- Bastion takes 35% less damage while in Configuration: Sentry or Tank
- Defense Matrix
- Enemy shots no longer need to travel a minimum distance before they can be blocked
- Mei can now be targeted by allies while in Cryo-Freeze
- While performing a resurrection, Mercy now becomes temporarily invulnerable along with the allies being revived
- Caduceus Staff
- Zenyatta can no longer be targeted when Transcendence is active
The focus on Roadhog is primary on reducing the destructibility of his hook, but his Scrap Gun has been buffed to compensate for the weakness.
- Scrap Gun
- Spread decreased by 20%
- Chain Hook
- Targets are now pulled to a location 3.5 meters away, up from 2 meters
- Cooldown increased from 6 to 8
- Sentry Turret
- [CONSOLE] Damage per second increased from 21 to 25.5. Damage on PC remains unchanged at 30.
- Rivet Gun
- Ammo is now loaded earlier in the reload animation
- Build Turret
- [CONSOLE] Damage increased from 10 to 12. Damage on PC remains unchanged at 14.
Blizzard claims Winston’s large head meant he could damage damage quicker and easier than other heroes. Now he should be in line with his fellow heroes.
- Critical hit volume reduced by 15%
- Respawn Delay
- Defenders will have their respawn timer slowly increase when the attackers outnumber the defenders at a control point, to prevent the defensive stalling tactic of racing towards the control point to block the capture meter.
- A second gate no longer closes after the payload passes through the castle doors. Instead, rubble from the damaged doorway partially blocks the entrance. This is to make it easier for attackers to progress after this point.